Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Top 10 Affordable Ways to Pamper Yourself

1. Take a Cat Nap
"One thing I've learned from living with cats is that there's no bad time for a nap. And, no -- you don't have to actually go to sleep. At the end of the workday, I wrap up a few loose ends, then Oscar the cat and I stretch out on the couch and relax. Sometimes I snooze; sometimes I don't. Relaxing and thinking pleasant thoughts are the key. Bad thoughts are banished. Such a nice way to make the transition from work to home."
2. Book It
"My main pampering habit is reading books. Instant vacation!" 
"Fixing a 500+ calorie dessert and taking it to bed early with a good book -- my favorite!" 
"I take a bowl of popcorn, a glass of cold ginger ale and my books, and I lay in bed and read and eat. My dog Blue sits on the end of my bed, and we have a very peaceful afternoon." 
3. Soak Your Cares Away
"My guilty pleasure is fruit-scented shower gels. I always have five to seven different ones to chose from." 
"A night of just pampering yourself is nice. Bubble baths with candlelight, a facial and a manicure, all with some soft music in the background, are very nice." 
4. Keep Up Appearances
"I treat myself to a manicure twice a month. It's only $15, and then I get the additional boost from people telling me that I have great hands and nails. I would recommend that we take our nicest feature (hair, nails, eyes, lips, legs), indulge in a pampering session and enjoy everyone else's moment of envy." -
"My summer indulgence is getting a tan. Using a self-tanner, of course!
5. Fine Wine, Great Music
"My way of indulging myself is to buy a great bottle of Sauvignon or Pouilly Fuisse and sip it while listening to Miles Davis or an adagio by Albinoni. Very cheap, relaxing and sensuous." 
6. Get a Good Workout
"Recently, in a heart-to-heart talk with my doctor about losing weight, I decided to join a karate class! She referred me to where she takes classes and has helped me feel comfortable in the class. It is a stretch financially, but I have decided that I would rather cut some of the frivolous spending I do and work up a tighter budget for the larger reward of this class. I feel so good after each class, not to mention watching the pounds disappear, that it is pampering to me!" 
"After a hard day at work, I work out at the gym. It is really relaxing and fun (I never thought it would be). I then treat myself to a large chocolate ice cream." 
7. Rub It Out
"I believe in the value of a good massage, whether weekly, biweekly or once a month. Yes, it can be an extravagance for some, but even if only once a month, you are taking care of your whole self -- body, mind and spirit. I would be lost without it." 
8. Do an Expensive Thing Inexpensively
"Occasionally I treat myself to the twilight movie (between 4pm and 6pm in my area a first run picture is only $3.25)."
9. Small Indulgences Are Just As Nice
"Some low-cost things I have learned to appreciate are buying a soothing eye or foot gel at the Body Shop (under $10) and buying the occasional lunch (cheaper than supper!). Another idea is going to a fancy cafe or restaurant for the ambiance, but only ordering the cheapest thing on the menu (flavored coffee, iced tea, a soup, etc.)
10. Keep It Simple
"I try to take a little time each day to be quiet, difficult with kids around, but it can be done. I just sit and reflect, and this is a luxury. I pamper myself by congratulating myself and acknowledging my achievements. I need to do this, as the self-esteem takes a battering from time to time. And I can pamper myself anytime I feel the need.

No comments:

Post a Comment